Barry Brownstein is a Partner in the firm’s Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York offices. Mr. Brownstein has substantial trial and appellate experience in multiple areas of the law.
In the area of labor and employment law, Mr. Brownstein’s experience includes the defense of a variety of employment claims, including race, sex, national origin, disability discrimination, wage and hour, harassment, and retaliation claims. He has also defended cases involving wrongful discharge and contract disputes. Mr. Brownstein also counsels employers on workplace issues and best practices, developing customized employee handbooks, employment agreements, non-compete covenants, sexual harassment policies, and social networking and electronic privacy policies.
In the area of Professional Liability/Errors and Omissions, Mr. Brownstein has defended all types of professionals, including Architects and Engineers, Attorneys, Financial Professionals, Insurance Agents/Brokers, Medical Professionals and Directors and Officers.
Mr. Brownstein also has substantial experience handling the defense of homeowners’ associations. He has litigated matters involving board elections, disputes between homeowners and community association boards, and contract disputes. In connection with this area, Mr. Brownstein has been successful in defending claims seeking injunctive relief.
Throughout his career, Mr. Brownstein has also gained considerable knowledge and experience litigating products liability matters, defending manufacturers of consumer products and industrial equipment, and premises liability matters.
Mr. Brownstein is an accomplished trial lawyer, successfully trying employment litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. With respect to his appellate experience, Mr. Brownstein argued in the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey a case involving the liability of sports arena operators. The decision, which made “new law” and was approved for publication, held that operators and sports facilities have a limited duty to protect spectators from risks associated with viewing a hockey game. Mr. Brownstein also served on the legal team for the highly publicized One Meridian Plaza fire case.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Practices
- Architects and Engineers Professional Liability
- Community Homeowners Associations
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Directors and Officers Liability
- Products Liability
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Juris Doctor, Rutgers University School of Law
- Master of Business Administration, Drexel University, Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Bachelor of Arts, Lafayette College
- Professional Malpractice Seminars for Architects and Engineers
- Effective Drafting and Use of ADR Policies for HOAs
Past Employment Positions
- Partner, Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP, Philadelphia, PA
- Associate Attorney, Spector Gadon & Rosen, P.C., Philadelphia, PA
- Associate Attorney, Morgan, Melhuish, Monaghan, et al., Livingston, NJ